Beets aren’t just for salads only, they can also be a part of delicious desserts, like these healthy cookies with beet and coconut.
- 180 ml Greek yogurt or low-fat sour cream
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1 egg
- 1 medium-sized beet, peeled and grated (or finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon raspberry extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
Ingredients for topping:
- 1/4 cup coconut
- 10 unsalted roasted almonds (ground)
- 24 dark chocolate covered almonds
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Line the baking pan with parchment paper.
- Mix beet, egg and all three extracts in a blender, until you dissolve all beet pieces. Add yogurt or sour cream and blend until the mixture becomes smooth.
- In a separate bowl mix flour with baking powder, add the beet mixture and ½ cup coconut.
- Mix and put the mixture in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- As the mixture cools, grind the almonds in a blender and mix them with ¼ cup coconut.
- Remove the mixture from the freezer, and shape cookies with a diameter of about 2.5 cm and roll each cookie in the mixture of almonds and coconut. Arrange them in the baking pan and press them with your finger tips. Bake 10 minutes.
- When you remove the cookies from oven, immediately push a dark chocolate almond on top of each cookie. Leave to cool before consuming.