How Dangerous Mushroom Poisoning Is?

How Dangerous Mushroom Poisoning Is?

Many people like to collect mushrooms from their nearest wood, and like to eat them even more. The problem with collecting mushrooms is insufficient knowledge about the differences between poisonous and edible mushrooms. As the season of mushrooms nears, the more cases of poisoning of mushrooms appear.

Phalloides looks a lot like mushrooms, so it’s a replacement often, which leads to a dangerous poison that can pay and life. The problem with this poisoning is the first symptoms, diarrhea and vomiting, which occur only ten hours after consumption. If these symptoms occur, be sure to immediately go to the hospital, because the life can be saved only if the antidote (silibinin) is received on time. Thanks to this antidote, the mortality caused by phalloides of 25% in the ’70s of the last century has dropped to only 6%. If the patient comes to the hospital too late, day or two after the poisoning, it leads to severe liver damage and then only transplantation is the solution.

In some cases, it leads to kidney failure or circulation. The severity of symptoms and the chances of curing are always directly dependent of the amount of consumed mushrooms, I mean poisons.

There are mushrooms in which the symptoms of poisoning occur much faster. Splitter leads already within one to two hours to severe nausea and extreme sweating, which is very specific and the doctors facilitate diagnosis.

The effect of the poison of fly-agarics mushrooms also occurs fairly quickly after consumption. Patients are confused, have symptoms similar to epileptic seizures. Some drug addicts knowingly consume these mushrooms to cause the desired psychological symptoms of intoxification. But, an overdose of this poison can lead to death.

The red mushroom is also a dangerous poisonous kind of mushroom. The problem is that its poison starts to act after a few days (maybe weeks), which makes the diagnosis difficult. Poisoning leads to kidney failure, death or at best case dialysis as a result.

Unfortunately, there is no universal trick to identify a poisonous mushroom. Just a good knowledge of different types of mushrooms (especially poisonous) and extensive experience can be a guarantee that there will be no poisoning. If you are not 100% sure that those mushrooms are not poisonous, rather you leave them.

Another problem is the heating of edible, previously cooked mushrooms. Mushrooms haven’t a long shelf life, come from soil, and it is very likely that they are contaminated by bacteria. This can lead to rapid deterioration, which is not good for our digestive organs.

In addition, proteins from mushrooms are relatively difficult to digest: many people have difficulties in digesting mushrooms and a few hours later they get digestive problems.

So to summarize, it is best to eat edible mushrooms that are fresh, preferably within 24 hours after their harvesting.


Share This Post

Post Comment