To make a terrarium you will need the following ingredients:
- Large glass bowl
- Blue rainbow sand
- Propagating sand
- Sydney sand
- Medium-sized river pebbles
- Selection of succulents
To arrange and decorate you will need the following:
- Chopsticks or sturdy sticksFunnel
- Small pieces of driftwood
- Dead Rock
- Fish ornaments
Terrariums are made up of layers of different materials.
- Gravel or perlite is usually laid on the bottom of the vessel to assist with drainage since terrariums don’t have drainage holes.
- Horticultural charcoal is laid on top of the gravel to neutralize the bad smell of wet potting mix.
- Sphagnum moss is next, and this helps the final layer of peat moss or potting mix to retain moisture.
In some cases you can use a different material, all depending on what plants you choose. For example, African violets and hypoesthesia grow better in the above-mentioned combination. Should you choose succulents or cactus, you won’t need sphagnum moss because they require less moisture-retentive materials.
Care and watering
- Watering is pretty easy actually. All you have to do is mist once weekly. Be careful with watering, under watering is always better then overwatering since excess moisture is difficult to remove.
- The plants require brightness, but not direct sunlight. You can position them near a window to give them the needed light. You can rotate the plant over time to allow it to grow evenly.
- Keep the container clean by removing dust or moisture from the glass. Remove any dead leaves to prevent the growth of fungi.
What to plant:
When it comes to choosing what to plant, you can choose plants that can thrive indoors. While choosing it is recommended to choose plants that need similar conditions. Below you can a list of some plants from which you can choose.
- African violets
- Baby’s tears
- Small ferns
When you get the flat surface you can decide where you want to put the plants. It is desired to put the tall plants in back and short plants in front. When you choose the location, plant them by using chopsticks. Use everything you want and have to decorate the bowl.