This issue is controversial, to say at least. There have been numerous researches on this topic and the results are as said controversial. Many of them state that mobile phone radiation is harmful and prolonged usage should be avoided while on the other hand some paid studies say that it is not harmful.
Below you will see few of the research findings and few tips on how to protect yourself from the radiation.
Can Your Mobile Phone Cause Cancer?
There is an intriguing case where one woman developed multi-focal breast cancer and she had no predisposing risk factors. As it turns out, the young lady had a habit of tucking her cell phone into her bra.
Two oncologists concluded there was only one other possibility that might have directly contributed to her breast cancer. After some evaluations they noticed that the location and the cancer cell growth matched the exact location where she kept her phone.
While her doctor doesn’t have exact prove the cell phone radiation caused her cancer, it should serve as a warning not only to other women who keep your phones in your pants pocket or shirt pocket as well.
Why Carrying Your Cell Phone on Your Body is a Bad Idea…
There’s a potential for harm regardless of the area exposed to the continuous radiation emitted by your cell phone.
- Wearing a cell phone on your hip may weaken an area of your pelvis. The researchers found that bone mineral density was altered on the side of the pelvis where the cell mobile phones were carried; raising the possibility that bone density could be adversely affected by the EM fields emitted by mobile phones.
- Cell phone radiation can affect men’s sperm count, quality, vitality and motility of their sperm.
Men in particular may want to reconsider carrying their mobile phones on their belts or in their pocket, in close proximity to their reproductive organs. Additionally, you have a number of other sensitive organs in that general area, including kidneys, liver, colon and bladder.
Recent Evidence Identifies Strong Cell Phone Cancer Link
After a steep increase of parotid gland tumor development in the population, an Israeli research group tested the theory of cell phone radiation as a cause for the tumors. Surprisingly, the results confirmed that there were some influences from the mobile phone radiation.
Furthermore, in that same year, Dr. Siegal Sadetzki, testified at a U.S. Senate Hearing that mobile phones were identified as a contributor to salivary gland tumors. The report states that your risk of developing a parotid tumor on the same side of your head that you use for listening to the mobile phone increases by:
- 34% if you are a regular cell phone user and have used your mobile phone for 5 years
- 58% if you had more than 5,500 calls in your lifetime
- 49% if you have spoken on the phone for more than 266.3 hours during your lifetime
World Health Organization Classifies Cell Phone Radiation as a Class B Carcinogen.
Cell phone subscriptions are now estimated at 5.9 billion globally. That is 87% of the world population! As cell phone use continues to grow unabated, a growing body of researchers is speaking out against the technology, warning that it may have serious biological side effects that must be acknowledged and remedied.
Fortunately, their warnings are slowly but surely beginning to be heard.
On May 31 2011, WHO and IARC issued a statement admitting that cell phone radiation might indeed cause cancer, classifying radiofrequency electromagnetic fields as “possibly carcinogenic to humans” (Class 2B). The classification came in response to research showing that wireless telephones increase the risk for brain cancer.
Children are at Greatest Risk – Including While in Utero
Children and teens are at greatest risk for parotid gland tumors and brain tumors, as their thinner skull bones allow greater penetration of cell phone radiation. Additionally, children’s cells reproduce more quickly, so they’re more susceptible to aggressive cancer cell growth.
Studies are showing that using handsets just 2 or 3 times a day during pregnancy is enough to raise the risk of their babies developing hyperactivity and anomalies with conduct, emotions, and relationships by the time they reached school age.
Mothers who used mobile phones are:
- 54% more likely to have children with behavioral problems.
- 80% more likely to suffer from behavioral difficulties
- 25% more at risk from emotional problems
- 34% more likely to suffer from difficulties relating to their peers
- 35% more likely to be hyperactive
- 49% more prone to problems with conduct
Experts Adamantly Claim Harmful Effects are Now Provable
EMF experts are claiming that there is no doubt that cell phones and similar gadgets are capable of causing not only cancer but a wide variety of other conditions like depression, diabetes, heart irregularities and impaired fertility.
Dr. Martin Blank is claiming that there IS evidence of harm, and that the harm can be significant.
The mobile’s industry interim research showed a 40% increased risk of brain cancer from 1,640 or more hours of cell phone use, and independent Swedish research published in 2007 showed a 540% increased risk of brain cancer from more than 2,000 hours of cell phone usage.
My Top Tips for Cell Phone Safety
Independent studies find some evidence that cell phone radiation is harmful and paid studies find that cell phone radiation is not harmful at all. Those are the same tactics that tobacco companies use to push their product on the market as not harmful.
So please, be aware that there is already robust scientific evidence that mobile phones and other wireless devices pose significant health risks to all of us, especially to children and pregnant women.
Tips to protect yourself and your children from cell phone radiation:
- Children should always avoid using cell phones
- Ideally, it would be helpful to turn off your base station every night before you go to bed.
- Use your cell phone only where reception is good: The weaker the reception is, the more power your phone uses
- Avoid carrying your phone on your body
- Don’t assume one cell phone is safer than another
- Keep your cell phone away from your body when it is on. The most dangerous place to be, in terms of radiation exposure, is within about six inches of the emitting antenna
- Respect others who are more sensitive
- Use safer headset technology