Mold Illness – What Is It And 17 Signs You Have It

Inappropriate ventilation, incomplete basements exposed to ground water and not correcting water intrusion, faulty construction of crawl spaces are but few of the construction defects that can make a building water-damaged. If you live in a water-damaged building, then in all likelihood you have mold spores in the air.

The CDC once stated that excessive exposure to mold-contaminated materials can cause adverse health effects to susceptible individuals regardless of the type of mold or the extent of contamination.

There were some controversies about the existence of these diseases since 2002 when a group of scientist reported that mold illness doesn’t exist. However, short after that, the Institute Of Medicine acknowledged that exposure to any kind of mold can cause respiratory problems. More recently, a team of practitioners lead by Dr. Shoemaker presented data which shows that mold illness can cause chronic fatigue, joint problems and adverse neurologic and cognitive effects.

It is believed that 25% of the population is sensitive to mold illness and not only because of that belief but also because of the problems that this disease can cause it is important to avoid exposure to any kind of mold. Furthermore, unlike typical viral and/or bacterial infections, there is currently no test that can confirm whether you are sensitive to this disease or not.

Here are 17 symptoms that you should watch for:

  • Memory problems and having trouble with focusing on doing tasks
  • Fatigue and weakness.
  • Muscle cramping and persistent nerve pain
  • Numbness and tingling
  • Headache
  • Light sensitivity, red eyes, and/or blurred vision
  • Sinus problems, cough, shortness of breath, air hunger, asthma-like symptoms
  • Tremors
  • Vertigo
  • Persistent nerve pain
  • Abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea, appetite changes
  • Metallic taste
  • Weight gain despite sufficient effort
  • Night sweats or other problems with temperature regulation
  • Excessive thirst
  • Increased urination
  • Static shocks

You may not be able to test for being sensitive to mold nor for the symptoms, but you can test for the presence of mold in your home/building. Professional inspectors will take air sampling tests for mold spores and you will easily find out. After that, you would have to call a mold removal professional who will treat the toxic hazard properly.

One thing you should be aware is, that many allergies can cause similar symptoms.

Mold requires damp conditions in order to thrive. The first step in preventing would be to fix the cause of moisture that is creating the moldy conditions. The second step is locating and dealing with the mold itself. Mold removal is something you must plan to do if mold has already grown in parts of your house. If the mold is covering a large area then it needs professional treatment due to the toxic hazards presented.

Add Comment