We all know very well how healthy turmeric is. The healing and inflammation powers are well documented. There have been a lot of studies on this topic, and the health benefits were just confirmed. Surprisingly it is even better than some of the drugs we use.
Health Benefits of Turmeric
Turmeric offers a variety of health benefits, health benefits that go beyond that some of these drugs:
- Anti-inflammatory drugs
- Diabetes drugs
- Arthritis medications
- Inflammatory bowel disease drugs
- Cholesterol drugs
Moroccan Carrot Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped organic yellow onion
- 1 pound large organic carrots, cut in ½- inch dice
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium organic chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- Salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt, optional for garnish
- Melt the butter in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute for 2 minutes.
- Mix the carrots and broth and bring it to boil. After that reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or are until the carrots become very tender.
- Stir cumin seeds in a small skillet over medium-high for 5 minutes. Finely grind in a spice mill.
- Remove the soup from the heat. Puree in batches in a blender until it becomes smooth.
- Return to the sauce pan. Mix the honey, lemon juice and allspice. Season it with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into a bowl and sprinkle with toasted cumin, or mix cumin and sour cream in a small bowl and dollop on top.